At this festive time of year, some of us will spend hours trying to find the perfect décor for our home, only to find out that the décor we find will totally blow the budget. Whilst this can be the case for many of us, we want our readers to know that is it still possible to create amazing Christmas décor on a budget! Here are some great DIY ideas, that even the uncraftiest individual can execute. All it takes is a few supplies, time and a little patience.
The table centrepiece is an important part of the ornamentation at Christmas, and can often be a great talking point. The wonderful thing about centrepieces, is that the design possibilities are endless, and can help to bring together your decoration theme within your room. Here we have listed how you can create your own statement centrepiece.
What you will need:
- Glass Jar
- Choice of Decorations
- Real or Artificial wreath
- Hot glue gun
- Base (this can be a cake board, plate, or any circular disk)
How to make:
- Firstly, decide on the decorations that you would like to use in your wreath. This can be anything from baubles, to pinecones. The limit is your imagination.
- Place your wreath, onto the base, and now the fun part can start!
- Take your hot glue gun, and start arranging and sticking your decorations around the wreath. There is no instruction on how your ornaments should be arranged, so just have fun.
- Next take your glass jar, and insert your candle in the middle. You may wish to add additional items to your glass jar, such as glass beads, or even dried oranges to add a festive scent.
- Finally pop your glass jar into the centre of your wreath, and viola your own handmade masterpiece is complete!
Christmas wreaths can adorn any part of your home, and it is common to find these hung on the outside doors, or on mantles during the festive period. The wreaths are a symbol of everlasting life and growth, and here, we have put together on how to make one of your very own.
What you will need:
- Florists wire
- Craft Glue
- Moss, either real or artificial
- Choice of foliage and flowers
How to make:
- Firstly create a circle with your wire, to the desired size that you would like you finished product to be.
- To get a good sturdy base for your wreath, pad the wire base with moss. Layer a generous amount around the frame, binding it tightly with florists’ wire. And don’t forget to make a wire hoop to hang your wreath!
- Next, select the leaves and foliage that you wish to use on your wreath. If using real leaves, create a small bundle, and wrap florists wire around the stems, ensuring there is enough wire left to wrap around your base. If using artificial decorations, these can be attached using a hot glue gun.
- When attaching the decorations to the base, tuck the wire under the base, secure with a knot and cut. Overlap the previous decorations by half, when attaching to the base, to ensure that there are no sparse spaces!
- If you used real moss when creating your wreath, you can rehydrate this by soaking the wreath in the sink once a week, and using this method, you can expect to keep your wreath looking fabulous for up to a month!
We would love to hear how you decorate your home this time of year, and if you have used any of our tips, we would love to see your creations!
Get in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter, we would love you to get involved with our community!